Heat Stress Awareness
Hot weather is here. Extreme heat can be dangerous. Thousands of workers in the United States get sick from exposure to excessive heat on the job. Heat related illness can also be fatal!
HEAT RELATED ILLNESS CAN BE PREVENTED BY TAKING SIMPLE PRECAUTIONS
BEAT THE HEAT: THREE SIMPLE STEPS
- Water: Take frequent water breaks and drink plenty of water or electrolyte fluids like Gatorade
- Rest: Taking frequent breaks helps your body recover
- Shade: Resting in the Shade or Air-conditioning helps cool you down
YOU AT RISK FOR HEAT RELATED ILLNESS IF:
- You aren’t used to working in heat
- You are new to working outdoors
- You are not physically fit or are overweight
- You drink alcohol or take drugs
- You wear heavy, dark, or tight clothing, or use personal protective equipment
- You had prior early heat-related symptoms
WHAT TO DO IN THE EVENT OF HEAT RELATED ILLNESS:
- Notify the supervisor. Seek medical help.
- Move the person to a cooler place to rest in the shade. Don’t leave them alone.
- Little by little, give them water.
- Loosen their clothing.
- Help cool the person. Fan, use ice packs, or soak their clothes with water.